Wednesday, September 23, 2009

"Where did you pick up your tie?"

This was the question posed to me by the gentleman sitting to my right this morning on the shuttle to work.  This was an interesting question for two reasons.

A) I got on the shuttle at 5:55 a.m.  It was still dark outside, and even darker inside the van.

2) I was wearing a tie that I bought 13 years ago when Mali and I had the opportunity to attend lunch at BYU with the Lao ambassador to the United States.  It's not like it has cartoons on it or anything, it's just a nondescript necktie.

My response: "Uh, well, I've had this tie for so long I can't remember where I bought it."

Imagine the hilarity that ensued when the questioner said, "I meant where did you learn to speak Thai..."

For the record, the gentleman sitting to my left interpreted the question the same as I had.  The actual question is one that I've heard a lot in our short time here, and it always gives me a chance to talk about my mission and lay down the marker that, yes, I'm LDS/Mormon (as if the BYU lanyard or oval "Y" patch I sewed onto the flap of my messenger bag weren't clue enough).

No comments:

Post a Comment