Monday, October 26, 2009

Jungle Juice ROCKS

Let's be very clear from the very start--I am not referring to the kind of "jungle juice" that appears as the first ten results when you Google the term.  I am referring to REI's Jungle Juice insect repellent.  This stuff, quite simply, is the best.  "Why is it so good?" you might ask.  "Because it's 98 percent DEET," I would respond without hesitation.  Ninety-eight percent.  I have no idea why it's not 100 percent DEET, and quite frankly, I don't care why, because it works.  And I've discovered, much to my delight, that it stays on even after heavy perspiration, which is a key factor for me while I'm in Southeast Asia, especially during/after exercise.

Now, for all those bleeding-heart-whatever-you-might-be that oppose the use of DEET to repel insects, spare me the sob stories.  My family and I live in a place that has mosquitoes which carry, among other things, malaria, dengue fever, and Japanese encephalitis.  We do not want to experience any of those diseases.  Ever.  My wife and children also have an affliction wherein they cannot help but scratch a mosquito bite until it bleeds.  Somehow that provides them the relief they so wantonly crave (Isn't it silly that I just described the reflex to scratch a mosquito bite as "wanton"?  Someday I'm going to be arrested for misappropriation of the English language--but not in Thailand!).

Back on topic--I have used the REI Jungle Juice in Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, and now Thailand, and never once while using it have I even had a bug land on me.  I'm pretty sure I've seen a couple of mosquitoes hover too close and then pass out, crashing to the earth only to wake up a few moments later shaking their heads, wondering what hit them and who stole their wallets.  On the other hand, last Saturday I went out to play soccer and didn't use any of REI's magic elixir, and sure enough, I found about fifteen bites on my arms and legs on Sunday morning.  I learned my lesson, and tonight before going out to play again I made sure I protected myself.  Ah, the sweet smell of Jungle Juice...

Much to my dismay, however, I discovered that REI currently does not sell this amazing product online.  I suppose I can go ahead and try some of the repellent that Mali purchased, but I'm afraid I'm just setting myself up for a big disappointment--to say nothing of getting mauled by myriad biting insects!

7 comments:

  1. ha! Love reading your blog. It always provides a good chuckle. Russ and I stop by REI often. Let me know if you want me to mail some of the magic potion out to you guys! Tell the fam hello. I miss Mali.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could go to the REI store, buy some, and mail it to you... for a price.
    HaHa- just kidding. I would do it for free cause "WE... ARE.. FAAMILY.......EVERY BODY GET UP AND SING" (Reference to the song)
    Does that insect repellent work on large scary looking spiders, or just mosquitos?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is what makes family and friends so totally wonderful! Thank you for the offer, I might have to take one of you up on that sometime. For now I've got at least four months supply left, and we'll see where it goes from there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All hail... Deet deserves a permanent pedestal in my book. I've been saved from nasty swarms hiking so many times I won't hike without it. There. Is that enough of an endorsement? :) Put our names on the list of Deet retrievers. We'd be happy to go spend time at REI for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad that jungle juice works for you!! But it stinks!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the info. My sister is going to Laos next month and was looking for something like this that works. I'll tell her to go buy it before her trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brent, you are sooooo funny!! I loved the description of the mosquito crashing. I guess I'll have to get some for next summer since Wacko Woman (my next door neighbor) breeds mosquitoes in her back yard - lots of junk and standing water!! Miss you guys a lot!!

    ReplyDelete